Costume Creation Guide
Costume design is a powerful storytelling device. Costumes transform the actors into their characters. Our goal is to tell part of the story through the costumes the actors wear.
Costume Design Tips
- Research: Look into your subject in images, books and other films
- Create a mood board: Create a visual of your ideas, color palettes, textures and the looks that inspire you (collage or apps like Moodboard or Canva)
- Write, diagram, and sketch: Put you ideas on paper.
- Be realistic: Gather items from real life travels and locations to add authenticity
- Colors: Bold colors pop. Contrasting colors to the background to help pop on screen
- Use tools: You can use have from simple to complex (hot glue gun, embroidery, sewing machine, 3D printer, laser cutter or cricket (if you need any of these, contact us and we will help).
- Alter items: from your closet or the thrift store
- Creative Construction Materials: cardboard, clay, foam, clothes, paint, duct tape
- The Film Look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ__r8QQ7Yc
- Hidden Layer of Magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRAmIaSlm80